Monday, October 1, 2007

October

First let me say that I blew it. Bad. Surprised? I didn't think so.

I'm trying to make some adjustments. My big goal for October is simply to stay on plan. We'll see how that goes.

Since I'm always getting rushed and harried, I thought it would help to start freezing complete meals. This week, I'm doubling 3 of the recipes to that end. Since lunches almost always consist of leftovers or frozen meals, this menu should leave me in good shape.

Monday - Sausage Lentil Soup (new recipe)
Tuesday - Wild Rice Turkey Casserole
Wednesday - Jambalaya (double)
Thursday - Chili (double)
Friday - Pepper Steak (double)
Saturday - Vegetable Lentil Stew

Tonight I made a delicious Thai Turkey. It's one of those spicy, sinus-clearing dishes. Unfortunately, Jeff got into my leftovers, so lunch tomorrow will be a TV dinner. But in case you're interested, here's the recipe for tonight's vittles:

Thai Turkey

3 c. diced or shredded turkey
3 green onions
1 red pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. Dried cilantro leaves
1 tbsp. honey
1 ½ tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. sesame oil
½ tsp. cornstarch
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
Cilantro sprigs for garnish, optional

Coarsely shred turkey-breast meat. Thinly slice green onions; cut red pepper into 2-inch-long, matchstick-thin strips. In small bowl, mix garlic, soy sauce, cilantro, honey, curry powder, sesame oil, cornstarch, crushed red pepper, and 1/3 cup water until well blended. In a skillet over high heat, in hot salad oil, cook green onions and pepper, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender and golden. Stir in liquid mixture and shredded turkey meat and cook, stirring to coat turkey well, until heated through. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.

Don't let the long ingredient list scare you away. It's super-easy to make - I threw it together in less than 20 minutes. You could add a yellow onion and green pepper for more veggies & color if you wanted.

No comments: