Thursday, October 4, 2007

Progress!

I have gone three days now without blowing it! Seems my strategies are working, at least for the moment. I weighed in this morning at 268.6. It's higher than it was a few weeks ago, but a drop from last week.

I did not exercise as intended last night. I was scheduled for an ab workout, but I had a very sharp pain in my ribcage and just couldn't do it. I'm not sure if I pulled a muscle, slept on it wrong, or if it was something else entirely. Tonight is Smallville, so I'm working out, but only briefly. I can't very well let something as trivial as exercise interrupt an all-important episode of a hot young Clark Kent, now can I?

In other news, I finally figured out the nutritional value of the chili recipe I developed a couple of years ago. If I use 97% lean ground turkey, it comes out to an amazing 189 calories per 2 cup serving - not to mention a massive dose of fiber from the beans and tomatoes. I had no idea it was such a great nutritional choice.

You have to keep in mind that I'm a Rachael Ray-style cook - I don't do a lot of measuring, especially when it comes to spices. The only reason I can calculate nutrition info on this recipe is because everything is canned or pre-portioned. In the spirit of healthy eating (and good chili), here's the recipe - just remember that how much spice you use is entirely up to you. This recipe is similar to Wendy's chili.


Amanda's Chili

1 lb. 97% lean ground turkey
1/2 onion, chopped
1 14-oz can tomato sauce
1 14-oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 15-oz can pinto beans
1 15-oz can kidney beans
1 4-oz can diced green chilies
chili powder
cumin
paprika
oregano
cayenne
black pepper

In a large skillet, brown meat with onion. Meanwhile, combine all other ingredients in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add cooked meat and heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes to an hour, checking occasionally to add liquid if necessary.

I guesstimate spices, but go heavy to light in the order listed in the ingredients. Start with a little, then work up to suit your tastes.

189 calories, a ton of fiber, and 2g fat - 3 WW points per serving. Makes 5 big bowls of chili.

No comments: