Sunday, December 2, 2007

I Ain't Getting Nuttin for Christmas...

... cause I ain't been nuttin' but BAD!!!

Oh, yeah. I hit another one of my gotta-eat-everything-in-sight-and-half-of-what-isn't phases this week.

It was not pretty.

So I've been guzzling water like a Hemi guzzles gasoline and trying to eat well as I can the last couple of days. Maybe tomorrow won't be a total disaster.

In the meantime - I made turkey pot pie, and it was SO GOOD! Here's the recipe - substitute chicken if it's what you have.

Turkey Pot Pie

1 1/2 c. mixed veggies (if frozen, thaw them out first)
1 1/2 c. diced turkey
1 can 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
salt & pepper to taste
phyllo dough (I used 1/4 of a 16-oz package)

Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl, combine veggies, turkey, soup, and salt and pepper. Spray a 9-in pie plate with cookine spray. Working quickly, layer one sheet phyllo dough in the plate and lightly coat with cooking spray. Repeat until 5 sheets are left. Spoon in turkey mixture. Cover with remaining five sheets. Spray top liberally with spray (or use butter spray). With a knife, cut slits for steam to escape. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. Allow to stand 5 minutes before serving. Serves 4. (5 WWP each)

Now, if you've never worked with phyllo dough, I have to admit I cheated. I could care less about making it look pretty, so I didn't cover the dough with a wet towel while I worked. Technically you're supposed to do that, but if you go fast enough you can get away with just peeling off each layer without the towel. BTW - the stuff is super-thin, like tissue paper. It does tear easily. You'll have to wad the ends up back into the crust, and I rotated each sheet a little so my corners would be spread out evenly around the pie plate. This was my first time working with it, but it tasted fantastic as a crust, and is ten times lighter than your usual pie crust. I will most assuredly be trying it again with other things.

No comments: